Monday, July 15, 2013

Jammin' - Gooseberry Jelly



gooseberry jelly

This is a fantastic fruit year. It has been so wet in Ontario and I think that is just what the berries needed. I picked a ton of wild blackberries, gooseberries (wild and not) and currants.

This is the first time I have ever picked enough gooseberries to make jam. I was hoping it would turn out a cool lime green color but, gooseberries are magic and when cooked turn a beautiful pink. The wild gooseberries look pretty wicked and prick your fingers when you pick them. It is worth it though. 

wild gooseberry vs domesticated


Gooseberry Jelly:
  • gooseberries
  • water
  • sugar

Step 1: Rinse off the gooseberries and throw them in a pot. I stemmed and chopped mine. It took an eternity and I think it was unnecessary and I will never do it again.  


Step 2: Add a little bit of water to the pot with gooseberries and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10min then freak out about how brown and gross it look. Afterwards strain the baby barf looking fruit through 3-4 layers of cheese cloth.

Step 3: Add equal parts sugar to your pink liquid and boil for 20min. Pour into prepared mason jars and process.
gooseberry jelly

1 comment:

  1. My mum used to make gooseberry jam and it had all the seeds and spent gooseberry barf in it. It was still so so delicious. Yours is much prettier!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...